I thought I would share with you my top 5 snack foods that I am loving at the moment. Over the last few weeks I have had a few people ask me what are the easiest snack food options for there busy schedules especially if they are working shift work. So here they are:
1. A juicy Apple – no prep required, fits in your handbag plus an apple a day keeps the doctor away. When my budget allows me I try and buy organic but my kids are eating so many apples in a week that it is just not possible all the time.
2. LOVE LOVE LOVE – my homemade trail mix – This is a great way to clean out your cupboards as well. I generally use almonds, cashews and walnuts as my nut base, however if you have a nut allergy try replacing the nuts with seeds such as sunflower, pumpkin or flax seed – great boost of nutrients as well. Dried fruit – i tend to stick to raisins, cranberries and/or apricots however keep in mind dried fruits are very sugary so i usually just add a little. And then of course I add a little bit of DARK chocolate just to get me through the day.. plus my daughter loves it.
3. Simple and easy to whip together – Carrot, Capsicum, cucumber, celery any kind of vegetable that you can make into a dipping stick. I love making homemade Tzatziki, I use natural greek yoghurt and I check to make sure that no sugar has been added like honey or fructose….. then grated cucumber, lots of fresh chopped mint, crushed garlic, 1 drop of lemon essential oil and a shake of moroccan spice —- YUM —— love this dip and you can make it on a Sunday night and it should last you the week.
4. Smoothie – If you don’t have one already but you need to get a blender this is a life saver, I actually use it for everything including chopping us vegies that I hide in dishes that the kids won’t eat to making smoothies and bases to my pasta sauces:). There are endless smoothie recipes out there at the moment that it can become a little daunting for some but can give you some great ideas. Lola Berry just released a new book on smoothies & juices which I can’t wait to have a look at her delicious smoothie ideas. I have also started experimenting with using wild orange, lemon and peppermint essential oils in my smoothies they taste delish… i will have to start my own smoothie recipe e-book soon. My fav smoothie this week is strawberries, banana, chia seeds, oats, ice, natural yoghurt and peppermint oil. I find the peppermint essential oil makes me feel so fresh and ready to take on any challenge.
5. And of course the protein balls.…. again they are small and fit in your bag. I usually make my own using dates, oats, nuts, cocoa powder, maple syrup, chia seeds and peppermint essential oil. The kids love them as well, I just replace the nuts with coconut so they can take them to school. If you don’t have time to make your own they can be found at your local supermarket, health food store and I have also seen them at a lot of the cafes. your
So instead of going for that biscuit, cake, chocolate bar, or packet of chips why not pack your self a healthy snack that is convenient, nutritious and will save you money.
P.s. Keep the biscuits, cakes and chocolate bars for a weekend treat!